Monday 16 March 2015

Thoughts on Battersea Arts Centre


The outpouring of grief and affection following the fire at Battersea Arts Centre has been extremely touching.  Much has been said about BAC’s importance; these pieces by Dan Rebellato and Catherine Love are particularly eloquent.

My first visit to BAC was to see 1927’s debut show Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea.   I didn’t live in London and travelling alone, with no understanding of London’s geography, meant the tube and bus journey required to get from King’s Cross to Battersea was quite an undertaking.  But that simply added to the sense of adventure and overwhelming excitement when I finally arrived.  I was wide-eyed as I entered that stunning building.  What a building and what a show.  I came back a week later to see it again.

When I put on my first proper show, Machines For Living, less than a year after leaving drama school, I invited every single theatre in London and beyond.  Only one replied.  BAC sent someone to see it.  When Hannah and I did a work in progress performance of So It Goes, we invited everyone we could think of.  BAC were the only people who came. For years, I knew that it was a place where people a few years older than me had got their first gigs.  I’d known it was a place who wouldn’t turn me away because my process didn’t start with a script. When that place sent someone to see my work, it meant the world.  And they were the only ones who did.

BAC are fundraising to allow them to rebuild and keep doing what they do so well.  You can donate here.

Meanwhile, the show goes on and I’m looking forward to seeing Caroline Horton’s show at BAC tomorrow.


David

No comments:

Post a Comment